Thursday, March 1, 2007

Here we go again!!

Schools are closed again. For the sixth or seventh time this year. It's been snowing off and on since yesterday. Most of it melted yesterday as it hit, but this morning it was sticking and the roads became slick. Since they have very limited resources for dealing with snowy/icy roads and it is really hilly here, they delay or cancel school with the smallest snowfall. As of the last calendar revision, two three-day weekends had been canceled and the school year was extended 3 days. We are currently ending on a Friday in late June. If they extend it to the following week they may have a revolt on their hands. J/K But, I'm sure a lot of kids won't be there, including ours, since we already have a vacation planned! ;-)

I have been told that most people don't remember a winter ever being like this one. Let's hope it's an anomaly and not a new trend. This has gotten old.

Whenever schools are closed, our daughters dance classes are also canceled. It's difficult to make them up and they don't adjust the fee so we end up paying for canceled classes. We've missed 4 or 5 at least since last November.
On a positive note, I bought some Dreyer's Girl Scout Thin Mint ice cream yesterday. It was divine. Mmmmmmmmm I highly recommend it if you like chocolate and mint.

I watched the Oprah special I had Tivo'd last night--about her new Academy for Girls in South Africa. It was very awe inspiring and amazing. Those girls seem so bright and cheerful despite their circumstances. Truly incredible. I can't wait to see updates about them. http://www.southafrica.info/ess_info/sa_glance/education/oprah_school.htm
http://oprahwinfreyleadershipacademy.o-philanthropy.org/site/PageServer?pagename=owla_homepage

No comments: