Wednesday, August 1, 2007

My backyard project

I did this a couple months ago and never got around to posting pics. It took me a few weeks to finish it all. I had to widen the strip against the house a foot and transplanted the grass from there to the area against the fence that needed it. If you notice in the pics, the back bed originally went straight across the fence, about 4 feet out. I also took grass from widening and shaping the back bed and transplanted it in the now grassy area. On the side of the house, we took out a bunch of rock and then put in stepping stones and bark. I'm really pleased with the results.

Before--Backyard

Back of house



Before--Side of house, path to backyard


After




I planted "Hamburg" hydrangeas with purplish blue flowers and azaleas against the house, with an "April Kiss" camellia at the corner.

The trees are Royal Raindrop Flowering Crabapple and Korean Dogwood. In the back bed there are a couple yellow Daylilies, 3 "Patty's Purple" Hebe's, 2 "Fire Witch" Dianthus, 3 "Red Hobbit" Columbines, 3 butterscotch euonymus, a red sand cherry, and a "Miss Kim" lilac is in the center. It's a smaller growing lilac with purple flowers. They have grown quite a bit since planting and the hydrangeas are in bloom. I need to take updated pics soon and post them.


2 comments:

Denise said...

It looks great, Jenny! It's amazing how just the bark and stepping stones transformed that little pathway, and the beds look very neat and pretty.

I bet it's nice living where you don't have to water all the time and use desert plants!!

Kari said...

That looks really good Jenny!! I think Washington is SO beautiful!! You probably don't have to worry so much about watering your plants, like we do in Colorado! (Though we do get rain, and have been getting a lot lately.)